Scattered Anglo-American settlers lived in the area when Don Martin de Leon founded townsite with 41 Spanish families in 1824. Named for General Guadalupe Victoria, who became Mexico’s first president. Historical markers and graves in Evergreen Cemetery (Red River and Vine Streets) cite the de Leon family prominent in early Texas colonization. It was one of the first three towns incorporated by the Republic of Texas. Today, a major industrial and agricultural crossroads of South Texas, home of Victoria College and the University of Houston at Victoria. CONGRATULATIONS! YOU found It!!! The name was the Jersey Lilly. Now, go back to the trivia page and register.
Mc Namara Historical Museum
Collections of Texana, documents and artifacts from Spanish, Mexican and Texan historical eras, plus antique furnishing in the charming 1876 Victorian homestead. Open Thur -Fri from Noon to 5 p.m. and Sat – Sun from 1 to 5 p.m. Located at 503 n. Liberty Street.
Named for Royston Nave, Texas artist who achieved distinction in New York art circles in 1920’s, and who painted extensively in and around Victoria. Greco-Roman hall built by his widow in 1931 houses Nave’s paintings. Also features contemporary art, sculpture and traveling exhibits. Open Thurs and Fri from 12 to 5 p.m.; Sat – sun, from 1 to 5 p.m. Located at 306 West Commercial Street.
400 acres of woodland bordered by the Guadalupe River; 200 picnic areas with tables and barbecue pits, several locations provide playground equipment. Beautiful trees border the fairways of the 27 hole Riverside Golf Course.
Devoted exclusively to native Texas species; displayed in a natural environment with no cages. Open daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Located in Riverside Park. An admission is charged for entrance.
Victoria Memorial Square
Landmark is an old grist mill; hand shaped logs fastened by wooden pegs and homemade nails of early German farmers. South Texas winds once turned giant blades, grinding corn into feed for livestock, or cornmeal for the family table. Mechanical parts of mill brought from Germany before 1860; park also features Southern Pacific oil-burning locomotive. Located at East Commercial and De Leon Streets.