The community grew around frontier site of Fort Concho, established in 1867 at the junction of north and middle branches of Concho River. It became an early ranching center for cattle and sheep; today it is the nation’s largest primary wool and mohair market and a major livestock auction center. The regional hub of cotton, grain, and pecan production. A variety of industries, medical and retirement facilities and Goodfellow Air Force Base lend diversity. Symphony orchestra, ballet, and one of the state’s oldest civic theaters. Home of Angelo State University.
Angelos State University Planetarium
The nations fourth largest university planetarium features a three dimensional view of the universe with sparkling stars and celestial fireworks.
Concho River Pearls
Formed in freshwater mussels, pearls range in color from pink to rich purple. Local jewelers offer a large variety of unique settings for these rare pearls from the lakes and rivers around San Angelo. Pearl seekers must have an annual permit from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department in Austin.
Concho River Walk
Over six miles of jogging/walking trails. Flowing fountains and water treatments, outdoor stage, small amusement park, 9 hole golf course. Located downtown.
Across Concho River from Fort Concho is a street that hosted off duty soldiers from the fort. Now this historic district features antique shops, saddle shops, cafes, and “Miss Hattie’s”. “Miss Hattie’s” is a restored “ladies of the evening” saloon parlor that was a surreptitious San Angelo landmark for decades. Faithfully restored with original furnishings and fashions to depict living style of those who entertained soldiers, ranchers and cowboys. The house operated from the mid 1800’s until closed by the Texas Rangers in 1946.
This is one of the best preserved Texas frontier military forts. A 40 acre National Historic Landmark is comprised of 23 original and restored buildings within the city limits near downtown.
Established in 1867 as a pivot post on the frontier line replacing Fort Chadbourne. Most stone structures built with pecan-wood beams and rafters by skilled German craftsmen from Fredicksburg.
Frontier troops protected stagecoaches and wagon trains, escorted the U.S. Mail, explored and mapped new territory and occasionally clashed with Indians. many well-known infantry and cavalry offices commanded the fort, including Col. Randal S. Mackenzie, Col. William R. Shafter and Col. Benjamin H. Grierson. Both black and white troops took part in their campaigns.
The bluecoats were no longer needed when the frontier moved farther west. In a sentimental ceremony the colors were struck and the last company of the 16th Infantry moved out of Fort Concho on June 20, 1889, as the regimental band played ” The girl I Left Behind Me”
Several buildings have been restored to their original appearance and others have been reconstructed on existing foundations. Exhibits tell the story of fort, Indian campaigns and of San Angelo. This is one of the most interesting festival you could attend in Texas.
Danner Museum of Telephony
models of telephones from Alexander Graham Bell’s Gallows Frame Phone” (only five ever built) through wooden phones and push-button phones of the 1880’s to present day models. Open museum hours in Officer’s quarters No.4.
Robert Wood Johnson Museum of Frontier Medicine
Instruments, medicines, surgical kits, hospital furniture, and other items of a typical 19th Century frontier hospital, some on loan from Johnson & Johnson collection. Also, items related to San Angelo’s medical history. In North Ward of the Post Hospital.
San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts
varied, changing exhibits of different media from many eras. Fort Concho Quartermaster building at the Burgess Street and Avenue G.
Miss Hattie’s Museum
Restored “ladies of the evening” saloon-“parlor house” that was a surreptitious San Angeleo landmark for decades. Faithfully resotred with original furnishings and fashions to depict the living syle of those who entertianed the soldiers, ranchers, and cowboys. House operated from mid-1800’s until closed by the Texas Rangers in 1946.
Producers Livestock Auction Company
In former Lake Rangers Headquarters building at Lake Nasworthy built by Works Progress Administration Natural science and history museum emphasizing understanding of Edwards Plateau region. Displays feature native wildlife; live reptiles and amphibians, mounted birds and other wildlife. 200 gallon aquarium, glass enclosed beehive, and ant farm. Audiovisual programs. In Mary lee Park on Knickerbocker at Lake Nasworthy.
San Angelo Nature Center
In former Lake Rangers Headquarters building ar Nasworthy, built by the Works Progress Administration. The natural science and history museum emphasizes an understanding of Edwards Plateau region. Displays feature native wildlife: live reptiles and amphibians, mounted birds, and other wildlife, 200-gallon aquarium, glass-enclosed beehive, and an ant farm. Also has audio visual programs.