Established 1858 near ruins of ancient Spanish mission Santa Cruz de San Saba (see below), which had been abandoned a century before. Town was early trading post and stop on north and west cattle trails; compound of an old Spanish mission just east of town served as corral, holding up to 3,000 cattle on way to market. Only scattered ruins of mission remain today. Currently, sheep and wool production are of primary importance, followed by beef cattle and Angora goats. Legends of lost silver mine still circulate in area. Picnic facilities in attractive, tree-shaded city park on San Saba River in midtown; public golf course adjacent to presidio ruins just west of town; camping and fishing in county park on F.M. 2292 a half-mile west of town.
Locally produced handicrafts, arts and foods in this quaint and interesting establishment. U.S. 83 north at Magnolia St.
Menard County Museum
Local history exhibits and frontier artifacts housed in small, vintage railroad depot. U.S. 83/ U.S. 190 (100 Frisco Ave.) Admission.
Ruins of Real Presidio De San Saba
Spanish fort established 1751 to protect Mission Santa Cruz de San Saba. Mission experienced increasing hostility from Indians, and presidio commander urged missionaries to abandon their effort. They refused, and on Mar. 16, 1758, a strong force of Comanche and other Indians overran the mission, killed any occupants and burned the buildings. Only a few escaped. Small relief force of soldiers from this presidio were so fiercely attacked, they were unable to prevent mission destruction. In following years Indian depredations became so severe that supply columns and other activities outside the presidio came to virtual standstill. Presidio was abandoned in 1769. Ruins maintained as county park 2 miles west off Texas 29.