A rural community first settled before 1847. Originally called Neches, the citizens chose Weches when a post office application revealed the first name was already in use. A Spanish mission had been established 150 years earlier at large Tejas Indian Village nearby. The town on Texas 21 west of Nacagdoches is within boundary of Davy Crockett National Forest.
Also in the park is th e Rice family log home, stage couch inn, one of many originally along El Camino Real (The Royal Highway). Started as a one room building in 1828, hostile Indians forced abandonment for two years, but Joseph Redmond Rice, Sr. returned and built this substantial way station. Camping, picnicking, hiking, and nature study. Park is just southwest of Weches off Texas 21 (about 21 mi. northeast of Crockett). Admission.
Back to Main | Advertiser's Index | City Index