Known variously as Washington on the Brazos or Old Washington.
The town was established in 1814 near the location of a Brazos
river ferry that had operated since 1822. The town achieved prominence
during the Texas Revolution in 1836 as the site of signing of
the Texas Declaration of Independence and the drafting of the
Constitution of the newly born Republic of Texas. From 1842 to
1846, Washington on the Brazos served as the capital of the Republic.
Through the 1840's and the 1850's the town flourished as a retail
and commercial center for the cotton producing Brazos Valley.
The little village today (southeast Bryan-College Station) lies
just off Texas 105 between Brenham and Navasota.
- PEACEABLE KINGDOM SCHOOL-Resident staff practices and
teaches gardening, land management and variety of ways of dealing
with energy. Classes in spring and fall. Brazos River Outpost
offers handmade crafts for sale. Tours Wed.-Sun. 10am-4pm. Closed
Jan. and Aug. Tour fee. On County Rd. 96, 3 mi. north of Washington
on the Brazos State Park off Texas 105.
- STAR REPUBLIC MUSEUM-In Washington on the Brazos State
Park, the museum is dedicated to presenting the history of the
Texas Republic through exhibits, publications, and media presentations.
Exhibits depict all aspects of the Republic period, including
social life, agriculture, transportation, politics, and military
affairs. Additionally, the museum's research library is accessible
to the public. Admission by Blinn College. Open Daily Mar.-Aug.
and Wed.-Sun. Sept.-Feb. 10am-5pm.
- WASHINGTON ON THE BRAZOS STATE HISTORICAL PARK - The
154 acre park contains part of the historic townsite; a reconstruction
of Independence Hall; an auditorium for public use; a pecan grove
picnic area, and outdoor amphitheater. Open daily 8am until sundown
for day use activities only; no overnight camping. Texas Independence
Day Celebration is annually on Sunday nearest Mar 2. Entrance
on F.M. 1155.
Back to Main | Advertiser's Index
| City Index