Scattered Anglo-American settlers lived in the area when Don Martin
de Leon founded townsite with 41 Spanish families in 1824. Named
for General Guadalupe Victoria, who became Mexico's first president.
Historical markers and graves in Evergreen Cemetery (Red River
and Vine Streets) cite the de Leon family prominent in early Texas
colonization. It was one of the first three towns incorporated
by the Republic of Texas. Today, a major industrial and agricultural
crossroads of South Texas, home of Victoria College and the University
of Houston at Victoria.
CONGRATULATIONS! YOU found It!!! The name was the Jersey Lilly. Now, go back to the trivia page and register.
McNAMARA HISTORICAL MUSEUM
THE TEXAS ZOO
VICTORIA MEMORIAL SQUARE
- McNAMARA HISTORICAL MUSEUM -
Collections of Texana, documents and artifacts from Spanish, Mexican
and Texan historical eras, plus antique furnishing in the charming
1876 Victorian homestead. Open Thur -Fri from Noon to 5 p.m. and
Sat - Sun from 1 to 5 p.m. Located at 503 n. Liberty Street.
- NAVE MUSEUM - Named for Royston
Nave, Texas artist who achieved distinction in New York art circles
in 1920's, and who painted extensively in and around Victoria.
Greco-Roman hall built by his widow in 1931 houses Nave's paintings.
Also features contemporary art, sculpture and traveling exhibits.
Open Thurs and Fri from 12 to 5 p.m.; Sat - sun, from 1 to 5 p.m.
Located at 306 West Commercial Street.
- RIVERSIDE PARK - 400 acres
of woodland bordered by the Guadalupe River; 200 picnic areas
with tables and barbecue pits, several locations provide playground
equipment. Beautiful trees border the fairways of the 27 hole
Riverside Golf Course.
- THE TEXAS ZOO - Devoted exclusively
to native Texas species; displayed in a natural environment with
no cages. Open daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Located in Riverside
Park. An admission is charged for entrance.
- VICTORIA MEMORIAL SQUARE - Landmark
is an old grist mill; hand shaped logs fastened by wooden pegs
and homemade nails of early German farmers. South Texas winds
once turned giant blades, grinding corn into feed for livestock,
or cornmeal for the family table. Mechanical parts of mill brought
from Germany before 1860; park also features Southern Pacific
oil-burning locomotive. Located at East Commercial and De Leon
Back to Main | Advertiser's Index
| City Index