The town was first settled in 1853, and in 1855-56 was known as
Encina. Once the domain of notorious frontier sheriff and outlaw,
J. King Fisher. A historical marker on Fisher and the graves of
early settlers killed by Indians in Pioneer Cemetery, is located
at 500 N. Park Street. Today, a retail center for extensive cattle,
sheep and goat ranching, also truck farming and honey production.
Industries include vegetable packing and processing and garment
making. The city is at the intersection of the nation's two longest
highways, U.S. 90 and U.S. 83. Home of Southwest Texas Junior
GARNER MEMORIAL MUSEUM
GARNER STATE PARK
- GARNER MEMORIAL MUSEUM - Former
home of John "Cactus Jack" Garner, vice president under
Franklin D. Roosevelt. miscellaneous historical material and special
displays associated with Garner and area history. Open from Monday
thru Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed holidays. Located at
333 N. Park St.
- GARNER STATE PARK - North 31
miles via U.S. 83.
- OPERA HOUSE - Restored and refurbished,
the Grand Opera House, c. 1891, was once the center of cultural
activity in Southwest Texas. Today's performances are given in
an original turn of the century setting. Tours available from
Tues - Fri 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sat 10 a.m to 1 p.m. Located in downtown
- SCENIC DRIVE - U.S. 83 north through
Concan, past Garner State Park to Leakey, then west on F.M. 337
and south on Texas 55, or at Leakey, east on F.M. 337 to Vanerpool
(near Lost Maples Natural Area) and south on F.M. 187 to Sabinal;
some of the most spectacular scenery in Texas Hill Country. Be
sure and take your camera!
Back to Main | Advertiser's Index
| City Index