The town was first called Hamiltonburg. The name changed to cite
the location near the confluence of Atascosa, Nueces, and Frio
Rivers. Commercial center for farming and ranching, uranium mining,
and oil refineries. The first glass factory in Texas was established
here in 1913. During the hunting season, hunters take deer, quail
- CHOKE CANYON STATE PARK - Opened in 1986, this park
features fishing and boating on a 26,000 acre Choke Canyon Reservoir,
an impoundment of the Frio River. Camping, rest rooms, and picnicking.
The townsite of Old Calliham, within the park, provides campsites,
screened shelters, 7 lane boat ramp, rock jetty, fishing pier,
swimming area, fish cleaning stations, trails, and concession
facilities. NO admission fee!
- TIPS STATE RECREATION PARK - A 21 acre park one mile
west off Texas 72 on Frio River. Has camping, fishing and picnic
Back to Main | Advertiser's Index
| City Index