Settled in 1878 by W.H. (Pete) Snyder, who opened a trading post.
The townsite was laid out in 1882, and the county organized two
years later. present seat of Scurry County. In 1950 the city grew
from 4,000 population to more than 12,000 after the discovery
of Canyon Reef Oil Field. Now the center of the largest unitized(operated
by a single operator) oil field in the world. Industries include
petroleum processing, cottonseed breeding, farming and ranching,
and other diversified industries. Home of
Western Texas College. for more information contact the chamber
of commerce office located at 2302 Avenue R, or call 915-573-3558
for additional information.
Snyder lies on U.S. 84, a segment of the Ports to Plains Highway
connecting the state's heartland to coastal ports.
- SCURRY COUNTY MUSEUM - County history rich in lore
and legends of the Old West; Indian relics, early box and strip
house, chuck wagon, pioneer ranch and home articles. Open Monday
thru Fri from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Western Texas College, on
Texas 350 South.
- TOWLE MEMORIAL PARK - Popular municipal park with playgrounds,
athletic fields, swimming pool, picnic areas, courts for croquet
and tennis, fishing lake for youngsters, and prairie-dog town
where the now rare little animals can be seen at close hand. Engine
No. 5 was the last steam locomotive used by the Roscoe, Snyder,
and Pacific Railroad, is also on display. Located on the south
side of the city on Texas 350.
- WHITE BUFFALO STATUE - Recalls frontier days and rare
albino buffalo killed near here. On the courthouse square. Several
historical markers on square detail the area history.
Back to Main | Advertiser's Index
| City Index