Founded as Walnut Springs in 1838 by members of Matthew Caldwell's Gonzales Rangers, name changed in 1839 to honor Juan N. Seguin, distinguished Mexican-Texan who served in Sam Houston's army that won Texas independence. he later served as a Texas senator and mayor of San Antonio. Fishing, swimming and water sports are popular in the area, with five hydroelectric power dams on the Guadalupe River within six miles of town.
Guadalupe County is noted for its pecan harvest with nuts shipped across the nation. In fact, right on the courthouse lawn, Seguin proudly displays "the world's largest pecan." Also, peach orchards, Christmas tree farms, and other diversified agribusiness.
Home of Texas Lutheran College on whose campus is Fiedler Museum with archaeological and mineral exhibits, outdoor rock garden and nature trail. Open during college hours. The 102 acre campus is site of Jackson Auditorium which serves as home of Mid Texas Symphony. Located between U.S. 90 and U.S. 90A.
HISTORIC HOMES and BUILDINGS
LOS NOGALES MUSEUM
MAX STARCKE PARK
SEBASTOPOL HOUSE STATE HISTORIC STRUCTURE
HISTORIC HOMES and BUILDINGS - Many pre-Texas Revolution buildings designated by historical markers. Among them the Magnolia Hotel of 1824, and restored Juan Seguin Post Office.
LAKES - Lake Placid is a small lake on the Guadalupe River southwest of the city. Lake McQueeny, 5 miles northwest, is touted as "the water ski capital of Texas."
LOS NOGALES MUSEUM - built in 1823 by Mexican government for use as post office, building was known s Juan Seguin Post Office from 1835 to 1870. Contains Texas historical papers, pictures, and furniture. Open only by appointment at East Live Oak and South River Streets.
MAX STARCKE PARK - one of the finest municipal parks for a city of this size in the nation. River Drive along Guadalupe River, beneath a towering oak, live oak and pecan trees. Golf course, swimming pool and picnic area. At Guadalupe River off Texas 123 south.
SEBASTOPOL HOUSE STATE HISTORIC STRUCTURE - also known as Home, built early 1850's, fronted by traditional high-columned porch. Probably named for Russian naval base during Crimean War. Unusual split detailed with Greek-Revival style architecture. Structure received U.S. Department of Interior's Award of Merit, and plans are on file with the Library of Congress. Recently restored by Texas Parks and Wildlife Department to its mid-to-late 1870's appearance with period furnishings. Exhibits recount original construction and restoration processes and history of the house. Open from Wed thru Sunday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Located at 704 Zorn Street. Admission.
Back to Main | Advertiser's Index | City Index