The community grew around frontier site of FortConcho, established in 1867 at the junction
of north and middle branches of ConchoRiver. It became an early ranching
center for cattle and sheep; today it is the nation's largest primary wool and
mohair market and a major livestock auction center. The regional hub of cotton,
grain, and pecan production. A variety of industries, medical and retirement
facilities and Goodfellow Air Force Base lend diversity. Symphony orchestra,
ballet, and one of the state's oldest civic theaters. Home of AngeloStateUniversity.
STATE UNIVERSITY PLANETARIUM.-.The Angelo State University's planetarium is the nation's fourth largest university planetarium and features a three dimensional view of the universe with sparkling stars and celestial fireworks. Open when classes are in session, Thursday and Saturday in the Nursing-PhysicalScienceBuilding on campus. Any questions or inquiries can be made via the university's phone answering service or through their website.
CONCHORIVER PEARLS.-.Formed in freshwater
mussels, pearls range in color from pink to rich purple. Local jewelers
offer a large variety of unique settings for these rare pearls from the
lakes and rivers around San Angelo.
Pearl seekers must have an annual permit from the TexasParks and Wildlife Department
six miles of jogging/walking trails. Flowing fountains and water
treatments, outdoor stage, small amusement park, 9 hole golf course.
is a street that hosted off duty soldiers from the fort. Now this historic
district features antique shops, saddle shops, cafes, and "Miss
Hattie's". "Miss Hattie's" is a restored "ladies of
the evening" saloon parlor that was a surreptitious San
Angelo landmark for decades. Faithfully restored
with original furnishings and fashions to depict living style of those who
entertained soldiers, ranchers and cowboys. The house operated from the
mid 1800's until closed by the Texas Rangers in 1946. The museum is open
from Tuesday thru Saturday from
till Upstairs at 18
is one of the best preserved Texas
frontier military forts. A 40 acre National Historic Landmark is comprised
of 23 original and restored buildings within the city limits near
Established in 1867 as a pivot post on the frontier line replacing FortChadbourne. Most stone
structures built with pecan-wood beams and rafters by skilled German craftsmen
Frontier troops protected stagecoaches and wagon trains, escorted the U.S.
Mail, explored and mapped new territory and occasionally clashed with Indians.
many well-known infantry and cavalry offices commanded the fort, including Col.
Randal S. Mackenzie, Col. William R. Shafter and Col. Benjamin H. Grierson.
Both black and white troops took part in their campaigns.
The bluecoats were no longer needed when the frontier moved farther west. In
a sentimental ceremony the colors were struck and the last company of the 16th
Infantry moved out of FortConcho
on June 20, 1889, as the
regimental band played " The girl I Left Behind Me"
Several buildings have been restored to their original appearance and others
have been reconstructed on existing foundations.
Exhibits tell the story of fort, Indian campaigns and of San
Angelo. Open Tues - Sat. from ; Sun Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. Call the
chamber of commerce for the dates of Christmas at FortConcho. This is one of the most
interesting festival you could attend in Texas.
DANNERMUSEUM of TELEPHONY..models of telephones
from Alexander Graham Bell's Gallows Frame Phone" (only five ever built)
through wooden phones and push-button phones of the 1880's to present day
models. Open museum hours in Officer's quarters No.4.
ROBERTWOODJOHNSONMUSEUM of FRONTIER MEDICINE..Instruments,
medicines, surgical kits, hospital furniture, and other items of a typical
19th Century frontier hospital, some on cash advance loan from Johnson &
Johnson collection. Also, items related to San Angelo's
medical history. In North Ward of the PostHospital.
SAN ANGELOMUSEUM of FINE ARTS.-.varied, changing
exhibits of different media from many eras. Open Tues. - Sat 10:00a.m thru
Quartermaster building at the Burgess Street and Avenue G.
HATTIE'S MUSEUM- Restored "ladies of the evening"
saloon-"parlor house" that was a surreptitious San Angeleo
landmark for decades. Faithfully resotred with original furnishings and
fashions to depict the living syle of those who entertianed the soldiers,
ranchers, and cowboys. House operated from mid-1800's until closed by the
Texas Rangers in 1946.
LIVESTOCK AUCTION COMPANY.-.In former Lake Rangers Headquarters
building at Lake Nasworthy built by Works Progress Administration Natural
science and history museum emphasizingunderstanding of Edwards Plateau
region. Displays feature native wildlife; live reptiles and amphibians,
mounted birds and other wildlife. 200 gallon aquarium, glass enclosed
beehive, and ant farm. Audiovisual programs. In Mary lee Park on Knickerbocker
San AngeloNatureCenter- In former Lake Rangers
Headquarters building ar Nasworthy, built by the Works Progress
Administration. The natural science and history museum emphasizes an
understanding of EdwardsPlateau
region. Displays feature native wildlife: live reptiles and amphibians,
mounted birds, and other wildlife, 200-gallon aquarium, glass-enclosed
beehive, and an ant farm. Also has audio visual programs.