SAINT JO

Pop. 1,060

Alt. 1,146


General

The population is 1,060. Alt. 1,146. Originally known as Head of Elm when established in 1856 on springs that were headwaters of Elm Fork of the Trinity River. Renamed for Joe Howell who laid out the town site. Howell allegedly opposed the sale of liquor in town, thus giving both himself and the town the name of "Saint Jo". The community U.S. 82 between Wichita Falls and Sherman was an important watering stop where the Chisholm Trail and California Road crossed. Indian raids took place as late as 1874.


Back to Main | Advertiser's Index | City Index