General.. The population is 3,436 and the altitude is 1,568
Named for Quanah Parker, the last great war chief of the Comanche Indians, son of a Comanche chief and captive white girl, Cynthia Ann Parker. Today it is the seat of Hardeman County, agricultural marketing and shipping point with cottonseed oil mill, cotton compress, dairy and meat packing plants; large gypsum plant is nearby.
Be sure to visit Medicine Mound Depot Restaurant in the historic building built in 1910 along the Kansas City, Mexico, and Orient Railroad in Medicine Mound townsite; the building was moved to the site on U.S. 287. Donít spoil your appetite with all the parched peanuts you can eat!
Take time to visit the historic sites around the city - Trinity Episcopal Church, First Presbyterian Church, and the Quanah Parker Monument and Memorial Walkway.
COPPER BREAKS STATE PARK - 1,933 acre park includes campsites with shade structures and utilities, picnicking, swimming, fishing, playgrounds, and hiking trails. The site is representative of stark and rugged beauty common to many parts of North and West Texas, with natural erosion of Permian red beds complementing the green of native redberry juniper. On Pease River 13 miles south of Quanah on Texas 6.
HARDEMAN COUNTY MUSEUM - In county jail built in 1891 of native stone, the upper floor cells left intact. General history of the museum occupies the lower floor and features exhibits of history of Quanah and Hardeman County, and a Space Room furnished by NASA and the Smithsonian Institute.101 Green Street.
MEDICINE MOUNDS - Four unusual cone-shaped hills that rise some 350 feet above the surrounding plains, named by the Comanche Indians, held in awe and reverence by them. The Indians believed that the mounds were dwelling place of powerful and benevolent spirits who could cure ills, assure successful hunts, and protect in battle. Drive by view about 5 miles south off Texas 283.
QUANAH, ACME & PACIFIC RAILWAY DEPOT - Three story structure built in 1908 in Spanish mission style with red Ludowici Serville tile roof. An extension of Hardeman County jail museum, the building is listed in the National Register of Historical Places.