ORANGE

Population 19,701

Altitude 20


General

Texas' easternmost city on the Sabine River boundary with Louisiana; established 1836, the year of Texas' independence. Named for landmark of wild orange groves on banks of the Sabine, as cited by early French and Spanish boatmen. Today Orange is both a recreational and industrial portal to Texas. Abundant fresh and saltwater fishing; hunting and bird watching in vast coastal marshes.

A walking tour map of downtown, available from the chamber of commerce at 1012 Green Ave., visits such sites as the central fire station where an antique fire engine and fire fighting memorabilia are displayed, plus other historic or interesting structures. The First Presbyterian Church with its opalescent glass dome and stained glass windows is worth visiting. Its modified Greek Revival architecture is striking. The exterior is native Texas pink granite; lampposts are bronze, Napoleonic Second Empire Period. At 902 W. Green Ave.

BROWN CENTER OF LAMAR UNIV., THE

CHEMICAL ROW

COMMUNITY PLAYHOUSE

FARMER'S MERCANTILE

HERITAGE HOUSE MUSEUM

LUTCHER THEATRE FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS

PINEY WOODS COUNTRY WINES

PORT OF ORANGE

RAINBOW AND VETERANS BRIDGE

VETERAN'S BRIDGE

STARK MUSEUM OF ART

SUPER GATOR AIRBOAT TOUR

TRAVEL INFORMATION CENTER

W. H. STARK HOUSE


Attractions

Back to Main | Advertiser's Index | City Index