Founded 1908; because of early coal-mining interest, named after
famous English coal-mining city. Agricultural today, area also
produces significant quantities of petroleum.
- FORT BELKNAP-U.S. Army post established in 1851 at
another location by Gen. William G. Belknap; moved same year to
present site along Brazos River. One of the largest posts in
North Texas prior to Civil War, it protected early settlers, travelers,
and was stop on famous Butterfield Overland Mail Route. Abandoned
1867; six original buildings and one replica. Now a county recreational
park with a museum, archives, and picnic facilities. Open daily
except Wed. 9 a.m.-5p.m. Three miles south off Texas 251.
Back to Main | Advertiser's Index
| City Index