Area settlement began as early as 1822. City established in 1859 when Houston & Texas Central Railroad built through and platted town. Other railroads followed, and city became cotton processing and shipping center for region. Downtown area is listed on National Register of Historic places and features a collection of shops filled with treasures of past and present.
Be sure to visit the LaSalle House, a Queen Anne Victorian built in 1897 which features antiques, collectibles, and rare and antique books at 412 E. Washington St. Tours of the house each Sat. and Sun.
Bed and breakfast accommodations offered in historic Victorian mansion.
Driving tours, location maps, and visitor packets available through
local chamber of commerce or by calling 409/825-6600 or 1-800-252-6642.
Back to Main | Advertiser's Index | City Index