Site of Indian settlement for centuries before first European arrived;
named for the Nacogdoche Indians. Area visited by La Salle expedition in
1687. Spanish mission founded in 1716. For more than a hundred years town
was major eastern gateway to Texas. Some of state's most historic landmarks
are here. Texas' first newspaper, Gaceta de Tejas, was published in Nacogdoches.
Home of Stephen F. Austin State University.
El Camino Real-"The King's Highway"; first blazed in 1691 by Domingo
Teran de los Rios, first provincial governor of Texas. Often called "Old
San Antonio Road" (OSR), route is virtually that of today's Texas 21.
L.T. BARRET MEMORIAL
LA CALLE DEL NORTE
HADEN EDWARDS HOUSE
LANANA CREEK TRAIL
OAK GROVE CEMETERY
OLD NORTH CHURCH
OLD STONE FORT
STEPHEN F. AUSTIN ARBORETUM AND HERB GARDEN
L.T. BARRET MEMORIAL-Honors the man who
drilled Texas' first oil well in 1866. It produced 10 barrels a day. Memorial
located on Stephen F. Austin State Univ. campus.
LA CALLE DEL NORTE-Spanish for "The Street
of the North," currently North Street in Nacagdoches, believed to be oldest
public thoroughfare in the U.S. Long before Spanish explorers discovered
and named it, route connected the major Indian community of Nacogdoches
with other Indian villages to the north.
HADEN EDWARDS HOUSE-Home of first Empresario
of Texas and leader of the Fredonia Rebellion of 1826, which paved the
way for Texas Independence. House is open for tours Sun. 2 p.m. Admission.
106 N. Lanana.
LANANA CREEK TRAIL-Six mile rustic trail through
Pecan Acres Park along Lanana Creek. Scenic trail follows paths once traveled
MILLARD'S CROSSING-A group restored 19th Century
buildings furnished with antiques and pioneer memorabilia. Guided tours
Mon. - Sat. 9 a.m.- 4 p.m.; Sun. 1 - 4 p.m. 6020 North St. (U.S. 59 north).
OAK GROVE CEMETERY-Graves date from 1837.
Several interesting monuments; four signers of Texas Declaration of Independence,
including Thomas J. Rusk, buried here. On N. Lanana St. at Hospital St.
OLD NACOGDOCHES UNIVERSITY-Built 1858, modified
Grecian structure was first nonsectarian university established during
Republic of Texas. On Washington Square, campus of Thomas J. Rusk Middle
School, building is museum featuring antique furniture, silver, other relics.
Open Tues. - Fri. 1 - 4 p.m.; Sat. 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.; Sun. 1 - 4 p.m. Mound
and Hughes St.
OLD NORTH CHURCH-Believed to be oldest union
church in Texas; several denominations worshipped here. First was Baptist
service held under a tree on the site in 1835. Present "new" church built
in 1852. Protestant services were unlawful in Texas during church's early
days. North of city off U.S. 59 on old Highway 35.
OLD STONE FORT-The Stone Fort Museum is
housed in a 1936 replica, built on a new site, of Don Antonio Gil Y'Barbo's
stone house. Y'Barbo, the founder of present day Nacogdoches, built
the stone house circa 1780 as the formal portals to the Spanish District
of Texas. The original site of Y'Barbo's house, torn down in 1902,
is the corner of Fredonia and Main Streets in downtown Nacogdoches.
During its history, the original house served variously as a public building,
grocery store, candy store, saloon, and as a temporary fortification during
the Magee-Gutierrez, Dr. James Long and Fredonia Rebellion filibusters.
Don Antonio Gil Y'Barbo (pronounced e-barvo) built a home that reflects
French Colonial residential architecture, but the building acquired a nickname
in the mid-1800's when its owner named his saloon the "Old Stone Fort Saloon."
Prior to that, the building was referred to as the stone house. The
house changed hands several times before the Perkins
brothers bought it for $12,000 in 1901 with the intention of demolishing
the structure to erect a modern building. This news attracted the
attention of the Cum Concilio Club, a local historical group. The
Club conducted fund raising projects for one year in hopes of purchasing
the aging structure. Unable to prevent the demolition of the building,
the Cum Concilio Club purchased the building stones that were later incorporated
in a small memorial structure and museum.
Before the house was torn down in 1902, it was the oldest standing
stone structure in the State, and its porch one of the earliest examples
of the galerie style porch in Texas.
In 1936, the same stones were in turn used to build the present replica
structure, authorized by the Texas Centennial Commission, which stands
on the campus of Stephen F. Austin State University. Now over fifty
years old, the replica structure is an important landmark and currently
contains a continuing exhibit on the history of the house and a temporary
exhibit, "East Texas Portfolio", which focuses on artists and photographers
of the 18th and early 19th century who lived in or had a direct influence
on East Texas. The "East Texas Portfolio" exhibit can be viewed until
The museum is open Tuesday through Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00
p.m.; Sunday from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.; closed on Mondays and holidays.
Admission is free of charge. Guided tours are available by reservation
only. Call (409)468-2408 weekdays for more information.
STEPHEN F. AUSTIN ARBORETUM AND HERB GARDEN-Ten
acres of native and exotic plant materials organized into various theme
gardens. Major collections include an herb garden, fern glade, dry garden,
daily and iris garden, a perennial border, bog garden, conifers, plants
of Asia, and native plants of East Texas. Open daily. Off Wilson Dr. on
SFASU campus and part of the Lanana Creek Trail.
STERNE-HOYA HOME-Built in 1828 by Adolphus
Sterne as home for his new bride. Pioneer merchant was active in ill-fated
Fredonia rebellion of 1826-27; helped with founding of Texas Republic.
Sam Houston baptized as Roman Catholic here, because Mexico required landholders
to be Catholic. Open Mon.- Sat. 9 a.m.- Noon; 2 - 5 p.m. 211 S. Lanana
St., a block off E. Main St. (Texas 21).
VISITOR INFORMATION-Nacogdoches County Chamber
of Commerce is housed in the handsome, Mediterranean-style Eugene Blount
Home, built in 1923. Blount was a banker, politician, orator, and philanthropist.
For information on city's accommodations, restaurants, and events, stop
by 1801 North St. Open Mon.- Fri. 8 a.m.- 5 p.m.
Old Stone Fort in Nacogdoches.
(Click on image to see full color JPG version.)
Back to Main | Advertiser's
Index | City Index