Established in 1824 by Oblate Fathers on a site three miles south
of the present town; priest said to have planted orange grove
that was one of the first experiments with citrus culture in lower
Rio Grande Valley. Mission advertises itself as "Home of
the Grapefruit," the particular grapefruit being the famed
Texas Ruby Red. Commercial center for vast citrus-truck-crop area;
also more than 30 industrial plants.
nowhere in Texas does the Christmas season blossom more colorfully
than at annual Poinsettia Show in Mission. Only all-poinsettia
show in U.S. has been held in December for more than 25 years,
employing permanent theme of "Tropical Christmas.: In even-numbered
years, the banks of mission are settings for profuse flora displays;
in odd-numbered years, settings are in ;public buildings and private
homes. Show coincides with annual meeting of American poinsettia
Society, whose national headquarters are in Mission.
BENTSEN RIO GRANDE VALLEY STATE PARK
La LOMITA CHAPEL
LOS EBANOS FERRY
- ANZALDUAS PARK - Hidalgo County
park at Anzalduas Dam on the Rio Grande. Rest rooms, covered bird-observation
pier, pavilion, boat dock, and paved roads. Picnicking in shady
wooded area; grills available. About three miles south, near La
- BENTSEN RIO GRANDE VALLEY STATE PARK
- 600 acre area set aside to preserve native flora and fauna of
lower Rio Grande Valley. On banks of Rio Grande, park offers canoeing,
picnicking, rest rooms, and showers, group shelter, fishing, bird-washing,
and nature study. Some 200 species of birds have been sighted
including such rare specimens as Audubon's oriole, hooded oriole,
zone tailed hawk, and redeye cowbird. Route of the Old Military
Road of U.S. Army from Fort Ringgold to Brownsville was near the
present park entrance; evidence of thoroughfare still visible.
About 6 miles southwest via U.S. 83, F.M. 2062 and Park Road 43.
- La LOMITA CHAPEL - Hidden away
n Texas mesquite, La Lomita (Little Hill) Chapel was first built
in 1865, an adobe overnight way station for Oblate padres who
regularly traveled on horseback between Brownsville and Roma.
Tiny (12 by 25 feet) structure rebuilt of sandstone in 1889, still
exhibits original brick floors, rough, heavy-beamed ceilings shaped
from native trees, and outdoor (beehive) oven, and original waterwell.
Chapel is still used for private services such as weddings. Surrounding
seven-acre park ;provides ;picnic facilities, cooking grills,
rest rooms, brick walkways, and historical site signs. Three miles
south via F.M. 1016.
- LOS EBANOS FERRY - Only existing
hand-operated ferry on the U.S. Mexican border. Carries three
cars at a time. In 1975 the ferry was recognized with state historical
marker. Crosses the Rio Grande from area of ebony trees Los ebanos.
Fourteen miles west on U.S. 83; 3 miles South on F.M. 886. Operates
form 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily.
- SHARY ESTATE - Was the home of
John H. Shary, known as the Father of Texas citrus industry, first
to grow fruit commercially. Across form house is Shary Memorial
Chapel and park, maintained as memorial to Shary; pioneer and
wife interred in chapel. No public tours, but the grounds are
quite beautiful and well worth the trip. Four miles north, on
Shary Road. (F.M. 494).
Back to Main | Advertiser's Index
| City Index