City named in 1890 when established as extension of the Ballinger-San
Angelo railroad line. Named for Jonathan Miles, pioneer cattleman
and railroad contractor.
- OLD OPERA HOUSE-Built in 1904, structure was cultural
and social center and housed bank. Later used as store, school,
post office and hotel. Closed in 1960; reopened in 1976 to again
house bank and opera house. Restored and purchased by Miles Preservation
Authority in 1977. Senior citizens who helped restore facility
now meet here. Listed on National register of Historic Buildings.
Local handicrafts, antiques and foods available on first floor.
Open Mon. - Fri. 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Robinson St. (F.M. 1692) at
- RUMLEY TRACTOR-After 40 years of neglect the 1909 "Advanced
Rumley" was moved in 1976 to city where it is a popular photo
subject. Weighing in at 19 tons, top speed of he behemoth was
2 1/2 mph. On U.S. 67.
Back to Main | Advertiser's Index
| City Index