Established 1871, named for Mexican General Jose Antonio Mexia
whose family donated townsite. The general first served under
Santa Anna, but later joined an uprising against the Mexican dictator.
The rebellion failed, and the city's namesake died before a firing
Natural gas discovered nearby in 1912; oil gusher blew in nine
years later. Resulting boom brought rowdy period marked by violence
and martial law. As in most cases, the boom faded quickly, and
Mexia today is a small, quiet city devoted to modern agriculture,
oil and gas production.
CONFEDERATE REUNION GROUNDS STATE PARK
FORT PARKER STATE PARK
OLD FORT PARKER STATE HISTORIC SITE
- CONFEDERATE REUNION GROUNDS STATE
PARK-Site of reunions of Confederate States of America
veterans from 1889 till 1946. Historic features include 1872
Heritage House, the 1893 dance pavilion, Mordecai Yell's two-story
log cabin, and CSA cannon. Scenic nature trails with footbridges,
fishing in Navasota River, picnicking. Open daylight hours.
Six mi. south on Texas 14, 3 mi. west on F.M. 2705 (not shown
on most maps).
- FORT PARKER STATE PARK-1,485
acres of wooded and open park land offer natural beauty, varied
recreational opportunities. On Navasota River and 750-acre Lake
Springfield. Camping, fishing, swimming, nature study. Nearby
is restored Old fort Parker (see below). State Park is 5 miles
southwest on Texas 14, Park road 28. Admission.
- OLD FORT PARKER STATE HISTORIC SITE-Established
1834 by Silas and James Parker and other members of the family
of Elder John Parker. The private fort was to protect a settlement
of eight or nine families. However, in 1836 a mass attack by
several hundred Comanches overran fort, killing five of Parker
family and carrying into captivity five persons including Cynthia
Ann Parker, then 9 years old. She grew up, married a Comanche
chief, and lived with the Indians until captured with her two-year-old
daughter, Prairie Flower, 24 years later in 1860. She was mother
of the last great Comanche chief, Quanah Parker. Cynthia Ann
never became reconciled to her forced return to the life of her
white kinsmen and tried several times to escape. Unhappy and
virtual prisoners, both she and her daughter died about four years
after they were separated from the wild, free life of the Comanche.
Restored in 1936 and again in 1967, old fort has pioneer memorabilia,
authentic log blockhouses and stockade. Open daylight hours;
closed Mon. & Tues. Eight miles southwest on Texas 14, Park
Road 35. Admission.
- TEHUACANA HILLS-Highest point
between Houston and Dallas, a focal point of history for nearly
200 years. In 1797 Philip Nolan's trading expedition found peaceful
Tehuacana Indians farming here. Fierce Cherokees destroyed farming
tribe around 1830. Tehuacana Academy, organized 1852, provided
incentive for founding of Trinity Univ., now located in San Antonio.
Silvery towered former administration building dominates the
Back to Main | Advertiser's Index
| City Index