Settled 1839, became seat of Harrison County 1842. When Texas
seceded from Union in 1861, city was one of biggest and wealthiest
in the state. It produced saddles, harnesses, clothing, powder
and ammunition for Confederacy. When Vicksburg fell, Marshall
became seat of civil authority west of the Mississippi River,
wartime capital of Missouri and headquarters of Trans-Mississippi
Postal Department. Confederate Monument on courthouse lawn.
Several historic homes offer bed and breakfast. Home of East
Texas Baptist Univ., Texas State Technical College, and Wiley
GINOCCHIO NATIONAL HISTORIC DISTRICT
HARRISON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY MUSEUM
MICHELSON-REVES ART MUSEUM
STARR FAMILY STATE HISTORIC SITE
WONDERLAND OF LIGHTS
- GINOCCHIO NATIONAL HISTORIC DISTRICT-Three
square blocks in the heart of old downtown centering around the
1896 Ginocchio Hotel, one of the state's finest examples of Victorian
hotel architecture with magnificent interior woodwork and decorative
details. Early Texas notables lodged and dined here. Occasionally
open. Washington St. at T&P depot.
- Another feature of the historic district is the nearby Allen
house, a typical example of early Texas architecture, circa 1877,
with up and downstairs verandas fronting the full length of the
white frame house. 610 N. Washington St.
- HARRISON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY MUSEUM-Remodeled
former county courthouse. Exhibits depict history of Marshall
and Harrison County including Caddo Indian artifacts, pioneer
and Civil War displays, George Foreman and Bill Moyers exhibits,
Lady Bird Johnson display, and Y.A. Tittle exhibit. Open Tues.
- Sat. 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Closed holidays. Admission.
- MARSHALL POTTERY-Established
in 1896, one of the largest manufacturers of glazed pottery in
the U.S. At main showroom 2.5 miles SE of Marshall on F.M. 31,
visitors will see hundreds of kinds of decorative and utility
pots, bowls, plaques and figurines. Regular demonstrations of
pottery making and firing; greenhouse. Old world Store sells
pottery and related items. Also RV park with 18 sites with water
and electricity; dump station. Open Mon. - Sat. 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.;
Sun. 1-6 p.m. Rsvns accepted for camping. 903/938-9201.
- MICHELSON-REVES ART MUSEUM-Features
the work of the late French Impressionist Leo Michelson whose
work is displayed internationally. Open Tues. - Fri. noon - 5
p.m., Sat. - Sun. 1-4 p.m. Closed Mon. and holidays. 216 N.
Bolivar St. Admission.
- STARR FAMILY STATE HISTORIC SITE-Better
known as Maplecroft, the name given when the house was built in
1870 by James F. Starr, son of Dr. James Harper Starr, early financier,
Surgeon General of the Republic of Texas in 1837, Secretary of
the Treasury for the Republic, Postmaster General of the Confederacy
west of the Mississippi, and member of the first board of regents
of the University of Texas. The family remained prominent in
the state's political and economic scene through successive generations.
The construction materials and furnishings of the home were shipped
from New Orleans and reflect the Italian style that was then popular
there. Shipwrights were imported to do the construction and all
the red heart pine was inspected by a lumber expert. Open Wed.
- Mon. 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. (Sun. 1-5 p.m.). 407 W. Travis St. 903/935-3044.
- WONDERLAND OF LIGHTS-Held
annually Thanksgiving -New Year's day features millions of tiny
white lights. This is one of the largest concerted holiday light
shows in the nation. Hundreds of businesses outline buildings
and decorate windows; entire neighborhoods decorate around central
themes; more than 125,000 lights decorate festival's "jewel,"
the historic Courthouse Museum. Visitors from all 50 states and
many foreign countries have attended the extravaganza. For information,
Back to Main | Advertiser's Index
| City Index