Population 30, 791
Heart of East Texas Piney Woods region, home of vast lumber and
wood-products industries; access to outdoor recreation in Angelina
and Davy Crockett National Forests and huge Sam Rayburn Reservoir.
Area produces more than a million board feet of saw timber annually
and major volume of pulpwood, from short- and longleaf pines,
cypress, hickory, oak, gum, and magnolia.
City parks offer picnicking and outdoor sports including golf,
fishing, swimming, and tennis. Sites of historical interest are
marked throughout city. Home of Angelina Junior College.
Contact Angelina County Chamber of Commerce at Loop 287 &
Chestnut St. for complete details on city and area attractions.
Open 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Mon. - Fri., 409/634-6644.
ANGELINA NATIONAL FOREST
DAVY CROCKETT NATIONAL FOREST
ELLEN TROUT ZOO AND PARK
MEDFORD COLLECTION OF WESTERN ART
MUSEUM OF EAST TEXAS
TEXAS FORESTRY MUSEUM
- ANGELINA NATIONAL FOREST-Nearest
entrance is 14 miles southeast on U.S. 69.
- DAVY CROCKETT NATIONAL FOREST-Nearest
entrance is 11 miles west on Texas 94. (See NATIONAL FORESTS IN
TEXAS at end of book.)
- ELLEN TROUT ZOO AND PARK-Fully
accredited zoo shows a wide variety of animals and birds; known
for its breeding programs for West African crowned crane and Louisiana
pine snake. Open daily; 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. (til 6 p.m. summer). Loop
287 North. Admission. 409/633-0399.
- LAKE-SAM RAYBURN. (Angelina
county Chamber of Commerce and many local business firms can provide
recreational maps of reservoir.)
- MEDFORD COLLECTION OF WESTERN ART-More
than 50 paintings by contemporary artists including Joe Beeler,
James Boren, Raymond Ryan, and Ross Stefan exhibited at city hall.
Open Mon. - Fri. 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. 300 E. Shepherd St.
- MUSEUM OF EAST TEXAS-Housed in
historic 1905 Episcopal Church. Changing exhibits in art, science
and history. Permanent Rotary Gallery of Art features East Texas
artists. Open Tues. - Fri. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Sat., Sun. 1-5 p.m.
Second and Paul Sts. 409/639-4434.
- TEXAS FORESTRY MUSEUM-Forestlands
flora and fauna exhibits, leaf and tree identifications, early
logging machinery, firefighting equipment, old railroad Depot,
antique railroad and sawmill steam engines, Mini-Woodland Trail.
Operated by Texas Forestry Association; open daily 1 - 4:30 p.m.,
1905 Atkinson Dr. 409/632-TREE (8733).
Forestry museum in Lufkin.
(Click image to view full color JPG version.)
Back to Main | Advertiser's Index
| City Index