the Lockhart Web Site
Originally called Plum Creek, town is near site of fierce Indian battle
that took place Aug. 12, 1840. Large war party of Comanches successfully
swept down Guadalupe Valley all the way to the Gulf Coast, killing settlers,
stealing horses, plundering and burning settlements. A volunteer force
of settlers and Texas Rangers met the returning war party and defeated
them at what is called the Battle of Plum Creek. Present city named for
Byrd Lockhart, pioneer surveyor. Town was southern terminus of Chisholm
Trail in 1870s.
Today city is center for agriculture, farming, oil and other diversified
industries. Battle of Plum Creek re-enacted annually in June during Chisholm
Trail Roundup in City park.
CALDWELL COUNTY COURTHOUSE
CALDWELL COUNTY/JAIL MUSEUM-
DR. EUGENE CLARK LIBRARY
EMANUEL EPISCOPAL CHURCH
LOCKHART STATE PARK
Back to Main | Advertiser's
Index | City Index
CALDWELL COUNTY COURTHOUSE-Stands in the
middle of Lockhart's square built of Muldoon limestone with red Pecos sandstone
trim; completed 1894. Affectionately said "ugly enough to be beautiful."
Flamboyant design with cupolas, turrets and gewgaws typical of period;
cost $65,000. History on historical marker.
CALDWELL COUNTY/JAIL MUSEUM-Red brick structure
represents rare example of Norman castellated architectural style. In former
cells, county museum exhibits furniture from early settlers' homes, frontier
kitchen and pioneer room. Also early farming implements. Open 1 - 5 p.m.
Wed. - Sat. at 315 E. Market St.
DR. EUGENE CLARK LIBRARY-Built for $6,000
in 1899, is oldest continuously used library in Texas. modeled after the
Villa Rotunda in Vicenza, Italy. Of sightseeing interest are stained glass
windows, ornate fixtures, and stage from which touring orators spoke, including
President William H. Taft. Open Mon. - Fri. 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m.
- noon. 217 S. Main.
EMANUEL EPISCOPAL CHURCH-One of Texas' oldest
Protestant churches, built 1856 of stone and wood, still in use as originally
constructed with only minor alteration. Church and Walnut Sts.
LOCKHART STATE PARK- 257 acres feature swimming,
fishing picnicking 9-hole golf course, rustic recreation hall overlooking
picturesque valley. Campsites, RV and trailer facilities. About four miles
southwest of Lockhart via U.S. 183 and F.M. 20. Admission. 512/398-3479.