Rich in south of-the-border-flavor, city is the major international
crossing along U.S.-Mexican border. Established by Spanish land
grant 1755; became county seat when Webb county organized in 1848.
City tops state in number of flags served under: Seven! today
Laredo economy is from such diversified sources as retail and
wholesale consumer products, importing and exporting (Laredo is
nation's largest inland port), petroleum and natural gas, feeds
and fertilizers, brick and tile, and visitors form both sides
of Rio Grande. Laredo Jr. College and Laredo State Univ. (part
of Texas A&M System) are here.
Recent "maquiladora" industry, and binational manufacturing
system where U.S. products are assembled in plants on the Mexican
side, is prominent in Laredo and Nuevo Laredo.
Since 1898 the Washington Birthday Celebration has honored George
Washington as first Western Hemisphere leader to free a New World
country form the dominion of European rule; ten-day fiesta celebrated
on both sides of the border includes parades, fireworks, dances,
and impressive coronation ceremony. Festivities strengthen friendly
ties between Texas and Mexico.
LAKE CASA BLANCO STATE PARK
LAREDO CHILDREN'S MUSEUM
LAREDO VISITOR INFORMATION CENTER
REPUBLIC OF THE RIO GRANDE BUILDING
ST. AUGUSTINE CHURCH
TEXAS TRAVEL INFORMATION CENTER-ONE
- FORT MCINTOSH-Established by
Army in 1848 immediately following Mexican War, fort was in continuous
use until May, 1946. It was originally among series of border
forts guarding against Indian attacks and was base for border
patrol. Laredo Junior College and Laredo State Univ. now on
grounds. The old guardhouse, chapel, warehouse and commissary
remain. One is used by the college's art department; the others
are destined to become a children's museum. Foot of Washington
St. on banks of Rio Grande.
- LAKE CASA BLANCO STATE PARK-
371-acre park near eastern city limits on U.S. 59. Picnic facilities,
camping, rest rooms, dump station, boat ramp, and fishing pier.
The 1,656-acre lake is among the state's best for black bass
- LAREDO CHILDREN'S MUSEUM-Meet
new friends, The Primaries-Yippee, Rudie, and Booboo, as they
guide you through the museum. Yippee loves history and culture;
Rudie is into art; and Booboo is a science nut. Through hands-on
experimentation and exploration, museum encourages the explorer
and inventor in children. Open Thurs. - Sat. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
West End Washington St. on campus of Laredo Jr. College. 210/721-5321.
- LAREDO VISITOR INFORMATION CENTER-Details
about Laredo, attractions, accommodations and events. At 2310
San Bernardo. Open Mon. - Fri. 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. Exit I-35
south at U.S. 59, turn right on Lafayette St., left on San Bernardo.
- NUEVO LAREDO-Founded 1775, "New
Laredo" across border is bustling city of 350,000. Fine
hotels, motels, and restaurants cater to large flow of visitors
throughout year. Shoppers find profusion of gift shops specializing
in jewelry, crystal, onyx, metallic arts. El Mercado, traditional
marketplace two blocks from international bridge, features handicrafts,
baskets, hand-dyed cloth, serapes, clothing leatherwork, silver
goods-all with Mexican flair.
The Nuevo Laredo Turf Club, within walking distance from international
bridge, offers wagering via live transmission from major U.S.
and Mexican horse and greyhound tracks; restaurant and bar, opens
11 a.m. daily.
On seasonal basis, bullfights are staged at the Plaza de Toros
La Fiesta bullring, six miles from the bridge.
- REPUBLIC OF THE RIO GRANDE BUILDING-Seven
flags have flown over quaint, one-story building. Whitewashed
plaster covers walls of rock and adobe that measure more than
two feet thick. Now a museum, building served as capitol of unsuccessful
Republic of the Rio Grande; displays guns, saddles, household
goods of frontier homes with emphasis on period of Rio Grande
Republic, 1839-41. Open Tues. - Sun. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. 1000 Zaragoza
St. on San Agustine Plaza. Contributions.
- ST. AUGUSTINE CHURCH-Originally
built in 1767; present structure, third on sites, dates form 1872.
On San Agustin Plaza in heart of old Spanish section.
- TEXAS TRAVEL INFORMATION CENTER-ONE
of the centers provided by the state at key highway entrances
to Texas, in State capitol Complex, and at the Judge Roy Bean
Visitor Center in Langtry. Operated daily except for Thanksgiving,
Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year's. Staffed by uniformed,
professional, bilingual travel counselors, free services to all
visitors include information, maps, literature on every part of
the state, and expert assistance in charting routes. On I-35
north of Laredo; operated by Texas department of Transportation.
Back to Main | Advertiser's Index
| City Index