Edged by 217,000 acre Fort Hood. Named for civil engineer of Santa
Fe Railroad that built across the county in 1882. The largest
city in Bell County; home of Central Texas College, University
of Central Texas. Visitor information is available at the chamber
of commerce in restored Santa Fe depot. 1 Santa Fe Plaza.
Community theater productions are held throughout the year at
the Center for the Arts, sponsored by Vive Les Arts Societe'.
Killeen lies on U.S. 190, a segment of the Ports to Plains Highway
connecting the state's heartland to coastal ports.
- FORT HOOD - Covering 339 square miles of Central Texas
the modern Army Post is staffed with the largest collection of
soldiers and fighting machines in the free world.-the only two
division post in the nation. Home of the Army's III corps, 1st
Cavalry and 2nd Armored Divisions. Visitors are welcome at two
museums on the post. The 1st Cavalry Division Museum exhibits
more than 150 years of cavalry uniforms, equipment, arms from
sabers to assault helicopters; emphasis on division combat during
World War II, in Korea, and in Vietnam. Artillery, tanks, trucks,
and captured foreign weapons; at Building 2218 on Headquarters
Ave. The 2nd Armored Division Museum features unit history from
1940 to today; World War II action in North Africa, Sicily and
Europe.; General Patton's overcoat, Sherman and Patton tanks,
combat photos, dioramas of street fighting in France; captured
enemy weapons. Building 418 on Battalion Avenue.
Back to Main | Advertiser's Index
| City Index
This file was last modified Thursday, 12-Oct-95 01:39:23