Petroleum refining and related oil field services are among industries
in seat of Jack County, primarily large, sparsely settled ranching
area. Settlement began 1855; Butterfield stages ran through community
first known as Lost Creek, next Mesquiteville, then Jacksboro.
Quaint downtown includes buildings constructed of native limestone
built in the late 21900s. Shoppers enjoy browsing through gift
and antique shops.
Two city parks provide tennis courts, baseball fields, and swimming
- FORT RICHARDSON STATE HISTORIC SITE - Most northerly
of line of Federal posts established in Texas after Civil War
to halt Indian depredations. Among regimental commanders was Col.
Ronald S. Mackenzie of famed Mackenzie's Raiders. Most impressive
building extant was post hospital. A reconstructed officers barracks
serves as Interpretive Center. Also existing are six of the original
stone buildings - morgue, bakery, magazine, commissary, hospital,
and part of the guardhouse. Fort was abandoned May 1878. Military
re-enactment held annually in November. Recreational facilities
include campsites with electricity, picnic sites, rest rooms,
shower, nature hiking trails, pond, fishing. Southwest edge of
city. Interpretive Center is open daily.
- JACK COUNTY MUSEUM - Located in the oldest house in
Jack County, two rooms furnished with period furnishings depicting
home life; one room dedicated to Jack County veterans. memorabilia
on Tom M. Marks who organized Gun Club, which later became the
4 H Club. Also, restored 100 year old log cabin, furnished with
period furniture. 257 West Belknap, just west of the square.
Back to Main | Advertiser's Index
| City Index
This file was last modified Thursday, 12-Oct-95 01:38:44