General.. The population is 5,707 and the Alt. is 20.
Although separate municipalities, the towns share heritage, business, and recreational areas. Abundant access to saltwater recreational opportunities; on peninsula between Copano Bay and Aransas Bay, sheltered from the Gulf of Mexico by St. Joseph Island.Rockport was established in 1867 as a shipping point for wool, hides, bones, and tallow. It became the eat of Aransas County in 1871; today it is an important commercial fishing area. Tourist, boaters, and anglers gather to enjoy mile long swimming beach.
Fulton settled in 1866 and was named for James C. Fulton, who built a feudal castle four miles north of Rockport. Coleman-Fulton Pasture Co. ranched in the region and promoted efforts toward a deep-water pass and railroads in order to market their beef; now a tourist community.Chamber of Commerce office at 404 Broadway St. in Rockport has information for local events, accommodations, dining and points of interest. Self guided historical driving tour available; audiocassette tape can also be rented to accompany the tour.