EAGLE PASS

General.. The population is 20,868 and the altitude is 797

First U.S. settlement of the site on Rio Grande began during Mexican War with establishment of temporary Camp Eagle Pass. In 1849 permanent Fort Duncan was founded. Today an international gateway and tourist center, seat of maverick County, and retail shipping center for 40,000 acre irrigated winter garden region. International bridge to Piedras negras, just across the Rio Grande, connects U.S. 57 with Mexico 57 that leads to Monclova, Saltillo, San Luis Potosi, and Mexico City. Portions of the route through scenic areas of Sierra madres. Sportsmen enjoy fishing for the famous (and huge) Rio Grand catfish, hunting for white-tailed deer and upland game birds.

Eight miles south of city is 125 acre site being developed as federal reservation for Kickapoo Indians, a tribe that for years had special border-crossing permission.

FORT DUNCAN

- Established in 1849 and occupied by three companies of 1st U.S. Infantry Regiment. During the Civil War, post was occupied by Confederate troops of Frontier Regiment. Federal troops reoccupied post in 1868; it remained under military authority until 1916. Many restored stone buildings form center of municipal park and spacious country club.

PIEDERAS NEGRAS

- Mexican city across Rio Grande from Eagle Pass, population about 33,000. Handicraft items at bargain prices in many shops and traditional Mexican market area. Restaurants and popular night clubs; bullfights at intervals through summer months.