Denton was established in 1857, and became the seat of Denton County. It
was named for John B. Denton, a pioneer lawyer, preacher and soldier. His
grave is on the courthouse lawn. The city and county are a blend of agricultural
and modern industries. Recreational activities include intercollegiate
sports, golf, hunting, and a wide range of water sports at nearby reservoirs.
Denton is a Main Street City.
Standing guard over the city is the stately Denton Country Courthouse.
Designed in 1895, it was restored in 1987. with its massive limestone walls
and soaring clock tower, it has been called "the most picturesque pile
of rocks in North Texas."
Cultural attractions center around the Arts Complex and two major state
universities. The University of North Texas and Texas Woman's University.
TWU is the largest university for women in the nation.
Bed and breakfast accommodations are available.
DENTON COUNTY HISTORICAL MUSEUM
GOWNS OF THE FIRST LADIES OF TEXAS
ISLE du BOIS STATE PARK
LITTLE CHAPEL IN THE WOODS
OAK-HICKORY HISTORIC DISTRICT
SCHOPPAUL HILL WINERY AND TASTING ROOM
Back to Main | Advertiser's
Index | City Index
ART GALLERIES - Craft media, paintings,
sculptures, and other works may be found in two galleries at the Center
for Visual Arts. Local and national artists are featured. Open Sun - Fri
from 1 to 5 p.m.. Located at the corner of Bell and Hickory Streets. Several
other galleries offer a variety of exhibits throughout the year at both
the University of North Texas and Texas Woman's University.
DENTON COUNTY HISTORICAL MUSEUM - A variety
of exhibits depicting Denton County history; lifestyle displays of a century
ago include a country kitchen, a Victorian parlor, farm tools, and numerous
special collections. Rotating displays examine Texas and local history
along with seasonal and thematic exhibits. Open Mon thru Sat from 1 to
4:30 p.m; Located on the First floor of the Denton County Courthouse.
EVERS HARDWARE - An old-time hardware store
complete with original displays and products sold since the store's founding
a century ago. It still remains in the original family. Open Mon. thru
Sat. from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Located on the downtown square at 109 West
GOWNS OF THE FIRST LADIES OF TEXAS - Inaugural
gowns of wives of presidents of the Republic of Texas and state governors.
Dresses worn by the wives of two presidents of the U.S. and the wife of
a Vice President. Open from Mon. to Fri. 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. during fall and
spring semesters; open Mon. to Thurs. during the summer semesters. Located
on TWU campus at 117 Bell Avenue.
ISLE du BOIS STATE PARK - 1,397 acre scenic playground
among wooded area on the south side of Lake Ray Roberts; camping, boating,
swimming, and fishing. Overnight group pavilion and day use group picnic
area also available. 12 mile multi-use trail for hiking, bicycling, and
equestrian use (your horse). Take I-35 north to Sanger; east on F.M. 455.
Admission is charged.
LITTLE CHAPEL IN THE WOODS - Designed
by O'Neil Ford, chapel was completed in 1939. First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt
attended the dedication ceremonies. The small chapel blends nature and
art in a wooded setting on Texas Woman's University campus. Ten stained
glass windows, designed by students, depict the theme "Woman Ministering
to Human Needs."; Although constructed for private meditation, the chapel
has become the setting for many weddings in the community. Open during
school hours on Texas Woman's University campus.
OAK-HICKORY HISTORIC DISTRICT - Victorian
homes on West Oak Street are fine examples of Victorian cottages with generous
porches, jigsaw work and tall narrow windows.
SCHOPPAUL HILL WINERY AND TASTING ROOM -
The winery is 80 miles northeast of Denton in wooded countryside near Ivanhoe
in Fannin County. tours are available by calling 903-583-2846. Tasting
room features wine, gourmet food, and gift baskets. One block south of
downtown square at 301 South Locust. Open from Mon. to Friday from 11 a.m.
to 5:30 p.m.; Sat. from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Telephone 817-380-9463.
VISITOR INFORMATION -For information on lodging,
dining events, and points of interest, visit the Denton County Chamber
of Commerce at 414 Parkway. Located at 5800 North I-35. Call