Selected as a townsite and seat of Wise County in 1856, first known as Taylorsville. Famous Butterfield Overland Mail Route passed through town in mid 1800s. Site of trial and hanging of five Peace Party conspirators in 1862. WISE COUNTY COURTHOUSE - Built in 1859 of pink limestone from Burnet, it has been pronounced a perfect architectural example of its type and era. On the traditional town square.
WISE COUNTY HERITAGE MUSEUM - Housed in administration building of old Decatur Baptist College built in 1892 for $20,855. Exhibits include Italian artifacts, old post office fixtures from Chico community, art, mementos of early area history; also archives and little theater. Open Mon. & Tues. from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.; Wed. , Thurs., Fri., 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sat. & Sun. 1:30 to 5 p.m. 1602 South Trinity. Admission.