PORT O’CONNOR

General.. The population is 1,147 and the altitude is 15

Closely tied to the sea, the town is home port to commercial fishing and shrimp boats, plus charter boats and a fishing pier. A wide variety of sea birds draws birders to this colorful community. The coastline and bays were first mapped by Alanzo de Pinada in 1519; he called the mainland “Amichel” - the earliest recorded designation of what was to become Texas.

MATAGORDA ISLAND STATE PARK AND WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT AREA

- For several years, beginning in 1942, a portion of Matagorda Island was used for practice bombing by the U.S. Air Force. Now, as a state park, the 7,325 acre area has largely returned to its natural state as a haven for migratory water fowl and deer. The park is seven miles south of Port O’ Connor, separated form the mainland by Esprito Santo and San Antonio Bays. Facilities include primitive beach campsites, dockside campsites, pit toilets and outdoor showers. Picnicking, camping, fishing, boating, swimming, beachcombing, and nature study. Birding is very popular; more than 300 species of migratory birds have been spotted here. Among the most noted birds that migrate to the island are whooping cranes which spend the winter on portions of the island across from Aransas National Wildlife Refuge. Accessible only by charter or private boat.