Seat of Johnson County, established about 1854, first known as Camp Henderson.
In 1867 name changed to honor Confederate General Pat Cleburne. County
is agricultural area featuring dariying, livestock, and farming, while
the city economy is supported by diversified industry and state's largest
railroad construction and repair shops.
Near downtown is the historic section of city, reflected in the pristine
homes on North Anglin Street and Prairie Street that have been restored
to their original charm of the 1800s.
Back to Main | Advertiser's
Index | City Index
CLEBURNE STATE PARK - 498 scenic acres offering camping, picnicking,
rest rooms and showers, group camp facilities, fishing, swimming, boat
rentals, groceries, trailer facilities, and hiking trails. Park contains
a wildlife refuge and 116 acre Cedar Lake; 12 miles southwest of Cleburne,
U.S. 67, Park Road 21. Admission is charged.
LAYLAND MUSEUM - Johnson County historical relics, early Texana,
comprehensive Indian artifacts dating from pre-Columbian cultures, fossils,
and genealogy records. Open Mon. - Fri. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sat. 9 a.m.
- 1 p.m. In handsome 1904 Carnegie Library, 201 North Caddo.