A small town in rich agricultural area of Milam County settled
by a diverse group of pioneers in the 1840s. Town named for Ewen
Cameron, a Scot Highlander prominent in the Texas Revolution;
county named for another independence fighter, Ben Milam, whose
statue is on the courthouse grounds. It's not unusual to hear
Czech, German, and Spanish - mingled with distinctive Texas drawls
- still being spoken by some Cameron residents.
Cameron lies on Texas 36, a segment of the ports to Plains Highway
connecting the state's heartland to coastal ports.
- CITY PARK - An 1890 pavilion still stands today for
band concerts, meetings, and rallies. Site of 1892
gubernatorial debate between James S. Hogg and George Clark.
Historical marker marks boyhood home of L.S. "Sul" Ross,
former Texas governor and president of Texas A&M University
Intersection of U.S. 190, Texas 36, and U.S. 77.
- MAGNOLIA HOUSE - Restored Victorian home of astonishing
beauty, "may be the finest home of its size and type in the
country," says the Texas Historical Commission. Built in
1895, every piece of lumber hand picked for rarity and beauty
of grain. Elaborate wall paneling, wood carvings, gingerbread
fretwork; authentically furnished. Great American Home Award from
the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Open Mon., There.,
Fri., Sat. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. 502 North Travis Street. 817-697-4395.
- MILAN COUNTY HISTORICAL MUSEUM - Housed in restored
county jail, c.1895, complete with cells, shackles, and gallows
tower. Exhibits of pioneer farm and ranch equipment, rustic household
furnishings, and Spartan "fashions" of the frontier.
Also Indian artifacts, ranch and trail driving tack, cowboy gear,
and weapons. Open 1 to 5 p.m. Tues. - Sat. at Main and Fannin
- WEID HARDWARE - Operating since 1880s, store retains
rustic; country store atmosphere; many items still in stock since
earliest days. 413 West Batte Street.
Back to Main | Advertiser's Index
| City Index