"Victorian" describes Calvert from business building
and residences to Virginia Field Park. A National Historic District.
Named for descendant of Lord Baltimore, Robert Calvert, plantation
owner who donated townsite. In 1871 had largest cotton gin in
the world. City claims title of "Antique Capital of Texas."
Bed and breakfast accommodations offered in historic buildings.
- HISTORIC BUILDINGS - Historical medallions mark Cobb's
Market, 517 Main Street; Church of Epiphany, Gregg and Elm, and
the First Presbyterian Church, 401 N. Barton Ave. Cobb's market
built in 1868; Church of Epiphany use since the parish was founded
in 1870; First Presbyterian Church built before Civil War with
materials from Calvert Plantation (except for leaded glass windows),
moved to town in 1868; other historic sites.
- VIRGINIA FIELD PARK - Features large gazebo and shady
playground. Once the site of an unusual prison during Reconstruction.
A "sky parlor" jail, built atop a tall pole, held Southern
Back to Main | Advertiser's Index
| City Index