Founded in 1840, has been seat of two counties. Before Burleson County organized in 1846, was seat of Milam County. Named for Mathew "Old Paint" Caldwell, noted Indian fighter and signer of Texas Declaration of Independence. In 1850s the town was rendezvous for westering immigrants, and had one of the finest hotels on Old San Antonio Road. One of state's best country inns is still located in Caldwell. Today, the city is primary a rural trade center for surrounding farms and ranches with diversified industry, including manufacturing service and technology. Town has been named "Kolache Capital of Texas" by state legislature.
Caldwell lies on Texas 36, a segment of the ports to Plains Highway connecting the state's heartland to coastal ports.
Bed and breakfast accommodations offered in historic buildings.
Back to Main | Advertiser's Index | City Index