BURNET

Population 3,504

Altitude 1,319


General

Seat of Burnet County, town grew around frontier Fort Croghan, established in 1849. One of the most ancient geological areas of the world. Features outcropping of granite and famous Longhorn Cavern. Nearby White Bluff characterized by beautiful formations created by running and dripping water; on F.M. 2341 off Texas 29, about 15 miles northwest.

Year-round tourist destination. Named Bluebonnet Capital of Texas by 67th Texas Legislature; known for beautiful display of wild flowers each spring. Antique shopping on historic square. Camping facilities and excellent fishing on nearby Highland Lakes. Hunters take deer, wild turkey, and dove in season. For information on attractions, accommodations, and special events, call the chamber of commerce at 512-756-4297.

Delaware Springs Golf Course 18 hole municipal golf course on U.S. 281 south of town. Open daily from daylight to dark. 512-756-8471.

BLACK ROCK PARK

Confederate Air Force

FORT CROGHAN MUSEUM

HIGHLAND LAKES CAF AIR MUSEUM

HIGHLAND LAKES GOLF COURSE

LONGHORN CAVERN STATE PARK

SCENIC DRIVES

VANISHING TEXAS RIVER CRUISE


Attractions

Back to Main | Advertiser's Index | City Index