General.. The population is 2,663 and the Alt. is 1,750
Seat of Jones County. Founded in 1881 and named for Dr. Anson Jones, last president of the Republic of Texas. Area is one of the richest farming areas in Texas; cotton production can be observed from field to gin. Other primary crops include wheat, sorghum, hay, and oats. Cattle, oil, and gas extraction, and gypsum products add to the economy.
Each December since 1885 , The Cowboy’s Christmas Ball is held in Pioneer Hall. Popularized by Michael martin Murphey’s musical rendition of the “The Cowboy’s Christmas Ball,” a poem honoring ranchmen of Texas written in 1890 by William Lawrence (Larry) Chittenden after attending one of the balls.
For information about the ball, or on restaurants and accommodations, contact the Anson Chamber of Commerce at 1132 West Court Plaza, or call 915-823-3259.
ANSON JONES MUSEUM - In historic church building, artifacts include miniature reproduction of town square as it existed in 1904; a desk and chair used by Dr. Anson Jones in his medical practice, and other local memorabilia. Open Wed. - Sun. 2 to 4:30 p.m.; closed holidays. 1302 Avenue K. 915-823-3683.
OPERA HOUSE - Built in 1907 by Albert W. Johnson, considered the “fanciest” showplace between Fort Worth and El Paso. Once hosted musical and dramatic productions, public and civic activities, silent and talking movies, and even wrestling and bare-fist fighting events until the 2930s. Today it is used for stage productions and a country-Western musical usually the third Saturday of the month. On northside of the square. Call 915-823-3542 for schedule.